Author Update

Dear all,

I am sorry I have not posted for quite some time. As some of you may know, I was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer on October 14, 2017 while pregnant with my second baby. After enduring three months of excruciating pain, they FINALLY discovered that I had cancer that had metastasized to my spine and essentially crushed my vertebrae. Turns out when you are pregnant pretty much all medical professionals won’t touch you, even if you are in extreme amounts of pain.

After my legs stopped working, they finally gave me an MRI which they normally will not do if you are pregnant. 20 minutes later, I was being prepped for an emergency spinal fusion while six months pregnant looking for some sort of answer from my stunned husband who was holding my 20-month old son and my mother who was next to him. It’s all kind of a blur…

One month later I had a c-section (two months before my daughter was due) so I could start treatment as soon as possible. This included radiation, chemotherapy, and hormone therapy. Six months later, I am officially starting to feel like myself again. And I can walk, so that’s pretty awesome. Hopefully treatment continues to hold the cancer at bay and my spine heals so I don’t need any more surgeries. Fingers crossed!

Now, because of all of this, I will be tailoring some of my material to inspire cancer patients to feel their best and most confident, which can be very difficult when you look in the mirror and see a very different version of yourself looking back. However, just because life throws you the ultimate curve ball, doesn’t mean you have to stop being you and all the things you loved about yourself. I hope to help you see you as you should be seen and feel the way you deserve to feel.

Stay posted!!

IMG_2341

breast cancer ribbon

Comments

1. Stephanie Gorski says:

Caroline! I am sending you all of my positive thoughts and support! You are amazing woman – I’ve always known that since I met you – now it is even more obvious. You are a source of motivation for us all. Wishing you all the best! XOXO – Stephanie

2. Whit Neil says:

You are such a ROCK STAR and inspire me every day – love you to pieces!!!!!! Keep kicking ass, Wonder Woman!!!!! 🙂

3. Anjali Nanda says:

Caroline, you’re remarkable, I can’t imagine what you’ve had to endure through this process. It’s certainly an eye-opener to know how difficult it can be to get a diagnosis and treatment when you’re expecting. Amazed by your progress and sending healing energy your way!

4. Paul Pop says:

Stay strong Caroline!

Liked by 1 person

5. Ariaden-Anne Tsambali says:

Dear Caroline. You are a remarkable person. Be strong you and your baby. it is rather an difficult case but science can win and can support you. You are strong and you will exist strong. Take care. God’s bless you and your family!!

6. Caroline! Amitha here. I hope you remember me from college. You always made me laugh when I was there…can you still make that crazy dolphin sound? Sending so much love to you.

7. nancy pearlman says:

Dear Caroline, You are a remarkable and beautiful spirit, and I join your many friends in sending you and your family armloads of hugs. I am so happy to hear your strong and positive voice, and sorry that you’ve had to endure such a difficult journey.

Liked by 1 person

8. My dear Caroline,

I have been following along on your journey and daaaaamn girl, I just can’t believe all of the things that you have been through. You should probably buy a lotto ticket because I think the world owes you big time. I am SO relieved to hear that you are feeling better. Lots of love to you (currently from Japan)!!

Laura

Liked by 1 person

9. Caroline,
    I’m so sorry to hear this news, but encouraged by your positive battle towards healthiness. I know we haven’t spoken in quite some time, but I think of you very often because I’m actually doing my Ph.D. at Claremont Graduate University and every time I walk through Pomona College I think about how you went there. Please know that I’m sending you, your little ones, and your husband light, love, and positivity from Southern California.
    Rae

• Rae, that is so cool. I hope you are liking it there. Love those campuses. What are you studying? Thanks for reaching out.

• Education. Such a random happenstance and I didn’t even realize that Pomona was here until I moved here and learned about the 5Cs. I almost fell off my chair.

Liked by 1 person

10. Katy Flecky Hendricks says:

Holy cow!! What a very unexpected and totally sucky update!! I am soooo very sad to hear it (and apparently don’t have the most appropriate words to express these feelings, for that I apologize) but please know that I will be thinking and praying for your whole family!! #hoopstertough

Liked by 1 person

11. Kerry Martin says:

Oh my . . . dear Caroline! So glad to hear this good news – so very sorry for this process! Sending you much love as you travel this road . . . and great joy in your refocused vision/purpose! Your love and positive energy is shining through!! Blessings!

Liked by 1 person