Just like Supermans, Swimmers is an easy exercise for your back that requires no equipment. It combats the negative effects of constant sitting like low back pain, spinal deterioration, and other postural problems.
- Lie face down on your mat in a prone position with your stomach resting on the ground.
- Lift your arms and feet off of the ground. Direct your eyes slightly forward and down to keep your neck straight and relaxed.
- Make exaggerated swimming motions alternating between lifting your left arm and right leg together with lifting your right arm and left leg together.
- Relax back to your starting position between sets.
Main Muscles Targeted:
- If you need to decrease the difficultly level, you can perform a Superman instead where you lift your arms and legs in unison and then relax back down to your starting position.
- When you lift off of the ground, keep your glutes clenched and your neck relaxed to help direct the effort to the desired muscles.
- Keep breathing!!
*Remember, it’s always advised to consult with your doctor or health care expert before adding a new exercise to your routine to make sure you don’t have any contraindications.