One of the most neglected parts of your body is your back. Incorporating back exercises into your exercise routine is very important, especially if you, like many, spend much of your day sitting. Sitting weakens and stretches out your low back while causing your hip flexors to tighten. Too much of this without any counter-work can cause low back pain, spinal deterioration, and other postural problems.
An easy back exercise you can do anytime anywhere sans equipment is Supermans.
- Lie face down on your mat in a prone position with your stomach resting on the ground.
- Lift your arms and feet off of the ground. Direct your eyes slightly forward and down to keep your neck straight and relaxed. You will look like and feel Superman when he is flying around town.
- Relax back to your starting position between reps.
Main Muscles Targeted:
- If you need to increase the difficultly level, you can perform Swimmers instead where you alternate between lifting your left arm and right leg together with lifting your right arm and left leg together.
- When you lift off of the ground, keep your glutes clenched and your neck relaxed to help direct the effort to the desired muscles.
- Keep breathing!!
*Remember, it’s always advised to consult with your doctor or health care expert before adding a new exercise to your routine to make sure you don’t have any contraindications.