10 Steps. Five Minutes.
I believe every woman should spend at least five minutes getting ready every day. Many women are too busy and often do not make this a priority in their daily lives due to a multitude of reasons. Maybe you’re a busy mom and you do not think you have time. Maybe you were never encouraged to wear make-up or get dolled up. Maybe you just don’t know how or what to do so you avoid it. Whatever the reason, I believe it is possible and necessary for every woman to spend a few minutes making sure she likes what she sees when she looks in the mirror.
Now, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t be true to yourself or happy with who are now. That’s actually the goal! But in order to like that person, to like the you in front of you now, you have to like what you see. If you don’t like what you see, you will make yourself very unhappy. See Mirror Talk
Therefore, it is important that you make yourself a priority. And even just five minutes can make a huge difference in your life. We are simply talking about enhancing who you already are and highlighting what you already have to offer. When you look your best, not only do you feel better, but you are more likely to do things that you want to do. If you’re ready for anything — the doorbell, an unexpected 30 minutes of free-time you could use at the gym, a Facetime call — you will feel more powerful and able because nothing will be holding you back from running out into public at a moment’s notice.
Here is my go-to five-minute routine:
- Toner with salicylic acid
- Cotton pads
- Noncomedogenic face lotion with sunscreen
- Noncomedogenic, talc-free, mineral face powder
- Blush if you are fair-skinned, bronzer if you are more olive or dark-skinned
- Tinted chapstick or lipgloss
- Hair tie or bobby pins
- Dry shampoo
- Wash your face. It’s important to keep your skin fresh and healthy after it has recharged throughout the night.
- Apply your toner. Using a cotton pad splashed with toner removes any excess oil and make-up from your face. It also exfoliates your skin and can prevent breakouts.
- Apply your sunscreen face lotion. A good noncomedogenic lotion provides your skin with nourishment and moisturizer to keep it supple and protected from the harmful effects of the sun, like wrinkles, sun spots, broken capillaries, and skin cancer, without clogging your pores.
- Apply your concealer: Dab your concealer on any facial discolorations, like blemishes or under your eyes. Blend it in slightly at the edges.
- Apply your face powder: Using your powder brush, apply face powder all over your face to create a seamless, blended look. This also adds another layer of sun-protection.
- Apply your blush/bronzer. Using a bronzer brush, apply your blush/bronzer to your cheeks above the apples of your cheeks. Sweep gently up your entire cheek bone to just below your temples. Then, add a few dabs to your chin, nose, and the middle of your forehead. Essentially, you are applying a natural bit of color to all the locations on your face where you normally get sunburned or tan: cheek bones, chin, nose, and forehead. No need to overdo it, but do make sure it actually shows up.
- Apply mascara. Find the mascara that works best for you and enhances your natural lash whether you want longer and/or fuller lashes.
- Apply lip tint. A chapstick or lipgloss with a little natural tint to it can really add some depth and youth to your face and skin. It’s even better if it has sunscreen in it.
- Don’t forget your hair. If your hair needs some dry shampoo to combat oil or just to add a little volume, use it first. Then brush your hair and do something to it — even if it’s just adding a little twist pinned with bobby pins or pulling your bangs back or throwing in a quick braid. This small effort will make you feel much more put together than if you just simply pull your hair back.
- Apply deodorant and possibly perfume. If you really like perfume or how you smell in perfume, apply it, even if you don’t plan on seeing anyone else all day. Having it on will make you feel pretty every time you smell it. And remember, that’s our goal. To have you like yourself.
That’s it! It’s simple. It’s easy. It nourishes your face, your skin, and your mind. You’ll be ready if the doorbell rings. You’ll smile at yourself in the mirror. You deserve to feel good about yourself. You deserve to let the best you shine.
My go-to products at this point in time:
Facewash: Cerave Foaming Facewash
Astringent: Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin Deep Cleaning Astringent
Face lotion: Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion AM SPF 30
Concealer: Physician’s Formula Gentle Cover Stick Concealer
Face powder: Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear Face Powder
Face powder brush: Tarte Airbrush Finish Bamboo Foundation Brush
Blush: Benefit Cosmetics Bella Bamba
Mascara: d.j.v Fiberwig Mascara
Lipgloss: Bare Escentuals Buxom Lip Gloss OR fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15
Dry shampoo: Schwarzkopf Got2b Dry Shampoo (not pictured above)
*Individual reviews of my go-to products coming soon!!! Stay tuned.